Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Remembrance

I’m not gonna remember her

I’m not gonna think about her

I’m not gonna remember how she remembered me before I remembered her

I’m gonna remember how she always called me by name (something I wished I had done more often with her)

I’m not gonna remember how much I enjoyed the fact that she seemed smarter than me

I’m not gonna remember the fact that she used to be smarter than me

I’m not gonna remember that ever so unique bridge in her nose

I’m not gonna remember how one of her ears always seemed slightly larger than the other

I’m not gonna remember her perfectly chiseled mouth

I’m not gonna remember her seemingly flawless enunciation

I’m not gonna remember how her eyes seemed to close almost completely whenever she smiled

I’m not gonna remember how often she smiled, even at the silliest things

I’m not gonna remember how carefully I would listen to her every word

I’m not gonna remember how she seemed to hide a slight accent in her voice

I’m not gonna remember how coyly she would make mistakes

I’m not gonna remember how playfully we would share tales of odd encounters and personal aspirations

I’m not gonna remember how she would always listen to the stories I told to illustrate a point
I’m not gonna remember the coherency of her speech

I’m not gonna remember how much she appreciated my first gift to her

I’m not gonna remember how forgiving she used to be

I’m not gonna remember how wise she used to be

I’m not gonna remember how smart she used to be

I’m not gonna remember how selfless she used to be

I’m not gonna remember how truly beautiful she used to be in all aspects of her personhood

But I AM gonna remember that today is her birthday

Happy 22nd, B________ T_______

No comments:

Post a Comment